10. Table or air hockey 1,180 estimated injuries
Having played air hockey and having been a fan of the sport for years, I can understand how this happens--the puck is elevated off the table and it hits somebody in the eye. This does not happen very often. It's still a great table sport.
9. Fishing 1.183 estimated injuries
I'm hoping some of these are from casting and not from getting a fish hook caught in the eye.
8. Health Club (exercise/weightlifting) 1,325 estimated injuries
Be smart and don't over-do it. Lift a reasonable weight. When lifting free weights, don't forget to breathe properly.
7. Soccer 1,338 estimated injuries
6. Bicycles 1,483 estimated injuries
5. Football 1,726 estimated injuries
4. Baseball/softball 2,100 estimated injuries
3. Guns (air, gas, spring and BB) 2,397 estimated injuries
2. Water and pool activities 5,505 estimated injuries
This is technically not a sport. I don't think they are referring to water polo, I think this is in reference to recreational pool activities. They must have included it because there are so many of them, it's good to be aware of it.
And the number 1 sport, by far, in which eye injuries occur....
1. Basketball 6,307 estimated injuries